Website traffic has to be your number one goal if you are trying to be remotely successful in your art journey.
Or any journey for that matter.
If you are starting your website from scratch or you are a technical ninja, you need to know how to get eyeballs on it. If you need help building a website, that’s a different story (I know a guy).
For now, you have a beautiful site, a magical dream and you are ready to get your art (or your amazing product) out into the world.
Imagine the ball featured in the photo above is your website. The adorable dog is you. You got the ball. You are ready to play. But the problem now is, you don’t know how to throw it yourself.
You need a little instruction on how to do this AKA get traffic to your website. In this case, let’s teach you how to throw your website. Or ball. Or get the traffic. Whatever, you get it.
Here are three ways to increase your website traffic organically. You’re welcome.
Create educational content
Content is King, or Queen or dragon, whatever you’re into.
You must sharpen your creative writing saw in order to make it in the wild website west. That doesn’t mean you have to be the best, you just have consistently create something from your heart and include your passion in it.
Here are a few quick and easy ways to write content that increases website traffic:
- Google your keyword (art, art for sale, custom art) and find out what other people are writing about, sharing or is even trending.
- Formulate an idea that you believe you know a little something about (How to lose a job and find a career gracefully) and sit down with coffee.
- Start writing. Think of ways you can help someone through this content.
- Think of (at least 10) people you can link OUT to in your content in a creative way.
- Include beautiful images and perfect grammar.
- Make sure it has heart.
- Hit publish.
- Share the SHIT out of it on social. (see below)
- Personally reach out to everyone you quoted in your article, send them love and encourage them to share the SHIT out of it (and tag you on social!).
Done. You have just increased the probability that your article will have more views, engagement and shares by simply sitting down to write. You have successfully just increased your website traffic organically. (Hint: I am doing it in this article.)
Great! What’s next? Google loves consistency, so get your coffee ready.
You will be posting a 1200-1500 page blog post every week. Like I said, it takes time.
But that’s not all, friends! It’s time to learn a little more about getting what you want out of your content through influencer outreach. Keep reading.
If you are not a writer, (I know a girl).
Reach out to influencers
If you think it’s easy to get awesome people that are crushin’ it out there to be interested in not only what you are doing but to actually share it, you are legit mad.
The phrase, ‘Rome wasn’t built in a day’ comes to mind. If you are going to do this thing, like really do it, you need to understand that this will take time. So you’re either in or out. You may need a good planner to do this, (I know a girl).
To be successful you have to create consistent content.
If you don’t like people, this is not going to work for you. Using influencers to gain website traffic is all about the people. And I know influencers is a buzzword, but it ain’t going anywhere. So get on the influencer outreach train and meet some new people!
The best way to do that is to lift them up in front of the world to see.
Here is your fool-proof formula for a succesful influencer campaign for a piece of content:
- Create a badass piece of content (1200-1500 words, full of all the love)
- Include your influencer links (check out BuzzSumo if you need help here)
- Create a database of the links used (Google docs recommended) and include:
- Article name
- Article link
- Influencer name
- Influencer link (external link)
- Influencer social networks/tags
- Article publish date
- Draft an email to the Influencer, include:
- Name (personalize!)
- Email copy: Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my latest article (insert article/link). Insert a compliment about them and encourage them to share the article. Ask them to tag you if they can! Do not be braggy, salesy or dishonest! Your goal is to promote THEM!
- Include a PS in your article that if they ever want to collaborate, reach out! Include a contact link and a cute emoji (just for fun). ?
- Share the article on all of your social and tag them with a fun compliment about them.
- Repeat this process once a week
Yes! You are getting it! Share this formula with the world:
This article by @cbcinked just taught me how to increase my website traffic by lifting up others. You need this in your life. ? #CBCInked #influencermarketingTweet
See what I did there?
If you are looking for a great in-depth guide to influencer marketing, reach out to me! I’ve been doing it for a looooooong time.
PRO TIP: Ask permission to share if you feel they may not want to be included in the article. The worst that can happen is they say no. 90% of the time, people love getting featured. Wouldn’t you?
Join affiliate programs
Like I said, you are going to have to like people.
It’s time to showcase this ability. It’s time to think about all the products and services you like, use or would refer to a friend. Make a list. Just for fun, let’s name it “My Affiliates”. ?
You have just created an affiliate outreach list. From here, find out each if each company has an affiliate program and sign up!
Signing up for an affiliate program typically includes:
- How you are going to promote them with your unique link
- Form of payment (so you can get your cash)
If the affiliate program that you are signing up is a good one, you should receive instructions via email once it’s approved. They SHOULD send you a unique URL, a banner advertisement and some fun content to include about their product/service. They should have it all in one big happy dashboard.
It’s up to to now aggregate this to the world. But first, organize. You are going to have to keep track! Time to get your google docs out again and keep a database of your Affiliates, the unique tracking link for each, company name, contact name and which articles you are going to include them in.
And that is your next step!
Include your affiliate links, images and banners in your content! If you want to increase website traffic and get some cash, you need to include your affiliate link uniquely throughout your content. Sprinkle it in your blog articles, add it to your landing pages, include it in side widgets, on your social links…spread it across your site in multiple ways!
Like this example for WordPress:
PRO TIP: Link all images! People click images all the time. Every image should be linked externally to your unique affiliate link.
Bonus Tip: Social sharing is caring
It’s time to spread your social wings and fly, friends!
This next part is going to take courage, confidence and finesse. Finesse is such a good word, isn’t it? You are going to not only be a social butterfly, you are going to do it with grace and sophistication. Otherwise, you are just like every other cheesy salesperson out there. Stay humble, my friends.
First, be sure your social channels are set up properly. You need to have your best photos, tags, links and all the self-love set up before you share. Don’t share from a profile that doesn’t even have a picture yet! Be prepared!
Once your profiles are all linked back to your website, it’s time to increase website visitors through some good old fashioned sharing.
If you are going to share your blog, your product, your website, your favorite food on social, you need to do it with class.
Here are some ways you can successfully share on social to increase website traffic:
- Write a little about the piece with a personal touch or share the story behind the product
- Research the right #hashtags to include
- Tag the right influencers with love, not promotion @ them
- Include emoji (people eat it up)
As you can see, Jenny was happy to be featured, happy to share and definitely visited my website. A win-win for all included.
Lift up others through social media as well.
Share your story!
CBCInked Wrap Up: Don’t stop believin’
If you take anything away from this, I hope it’s belief. Belief that you can do this thing. It won’t be easy, it will take a lot of time and you will feel that it is like watching grass grow.
Don’t stop believing in yourself.
I started CBCInked over ten years ago and never gave up on the fact that I could help people through art. I wanted to create something positive for people to turn to when they needed it most.
Artfirmations are something that I have always thought will truly help daily wellness, finding happiness and believing in yourself.
Take some of these tips I have taught you and take on the world! Go forth and conquer!